Sunday, May 18, 2008

Brian keeps on going.



Sunday, May 11, 2008


Today we had beautiful weather for Mother's Day. In the evening I had to go to church because I teach Sunday school for the fifth grade class. This made for another perfect opportunity to go by bike so once again I convinced my daughter to tag along with me. I'm thinking if I can instill in her ever more deeply at this early age the importance of taking care of our planet and making smart choices when it comes to life, at least she'll be headed in the right direction.


One thing I have come to realize is that there are not a lot of bike racks near most places I go (other than at schools). Such is the case at our church. I understand a couple of weeks ago they borrowed a bike rack from a nearby school for Earth Day but they didn't really see a need for one other than that one time. With that being the case, we decided to lock our bikes on the handrail where everyone entering and exiting would see them ... kind of a reminder that there is more than one way to go places.


I received a couple of comments from folks at church ... one of the staff members couldn't believe that I rode 2.5 miles to church (wonder what she was implying ... it's not like Dr. Kevorkian is going to be paying me a visit anytime soon!). I made sure she knew all about National Bike Week (she thought I was kidding that we actually have such an event). Later when I was leaving one of my fifth graders saw me with my bike helmet and started asking questions. I told him it was a great way to be healthy and eco-friendly. Who knows, maybe I'll start seeing more people riding in the near future.


I have been trying to promote Bike Week activities at work ... we'll see how it goes this week (which, by the way, is National Transportation Week too).

No comments: