Friday, May 16, 2008

Brian Shields Post #2

Brian's daughter is now going by bike

Brian with his new bike waiting to ride


Saturday, May 10, 2008


Earlier in the week I decided I needed a haircut. Instead of making a special trip by car, I decided to make a special trip by bike! Saturday morning I convinced my daughter to go with me and take both of our bikes out for a spin. We have some great off-road bike trails in our city, and we were able to go the entire distance without leaving the trail network (other than a short two block stretch to actually get on it in our neighborhood). It was a little muddy in a couple of places due to some recent rains, but it felt great getting out and enjoying the morning sun and light wind that hits your face as you ride. We traveled a little over three miles each way.



I remember when I was younger (OK, much younger) and a bicycle was my only means of commuting (I couldn't get my driver's license until I was 16 years, 1 month and 1 day old ... seriously, who thinks up these laws anyway?). I used to use a bike to go most places since my parents both worked. Sometimes it was a two mile ride to school and other times it was just to meet a friend to play tennis. I remember how sometimes it was nice to just get on my bike and ride with nowhere in particular in mind ... it was just such a relaxing and enjoyable time that I could really clear my head when I was out on the road (just how much head clearing a teenager really needs is debatable, I guess). Anyway, I have survived my first bike trip in almost two decades.


No comments: